FBI virus still going strong
The FBI virus seems to be the most common virus out there right now. It has taken over the number one spot from the the rogue/fake anti-virus program. We are getting several computers a week from with this virus and have even had one client send the money to the thieves via moneygram.
The variants we have seen so far seem to be using exploits in Java and Adobe Reader. These are usually easier avenues of attack because the software does not automatically update with windows. The computer is usually exposed to the virus through some combination of the following:
- User account has administrative privileges
- Less than reliable search results
- Clicked on a SPAM link
- Anti-Virus out of date/expired
- Tricked by pop-up disguised as Windows or other software update
- Tricked to install fake codec to watch a video (actually installed a virus)
If you get this virus, please don’t send them money via moneygram/moneypak. Some people are and this is what is driving them to continue. There are a lot of recommended solutions on the internet to remove this virus. Some are probably more effective than others and all have their risks.
SP Networking is a computer repair company and we do this for a living. If you would like us to remove the FBI virus, give us a call. [schema type=”organization” orgtype=”LocalBusiness” name=”SP Networking” phone=”337-214-0911″ ]
Self Help – Computer Repair
This is SP Networking's Self Help Section
Use this link for SP Networking’s Computer Repair Services.
Not all computer repair requires professional assistance. Depending on your experience and level of comfort, there are some things you can do yourself that may get you up and running again.
Use the below topics to help get you started.
DISCLAIMER: The information provided here is given freely and without warranty. You assume all responsibility for using and/or following any information found contained on this site. This website contains links to other websites which are not under the control of and are not maintained by SP Networking. SP Networking is not responsible for the content of those sites. SP Networking provides these links for your convenience only but does not necessarily endorse the material on these sites.
Virus Removal – Computer Repair
This is SP Networking's Self Help Section
Use the links on the right for SP Networking’s Virus Removal Services.
Removing a virus or malware from your computer:
WARNING: Any of these procedures can result in data loss. Proceed at your own risk. See our disclaimer at the bottom of the page.
Is it a virus or other malware?
- Are there pop-up ads even when you are not browsing the internet?
- Is your browser redirecting you to sites you were NOT trying to visit?
- Do you have pop-ups telling you that your computer is infected and it’s not your known anti-virus software?
There are only two-steps we recommend for home users.
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes (free version).
- Scan your computer with an updated version of AVG Anti-Virus(paid version) or Microsoft Security Essentials(free for personal use).
If you cannot log on to your computer in either normal mode or safe mode (see Software Troubleshooting) we recommend you contact us for professional assistance.
Call, Email or Drop By – 337-376-0655 / our office is located at 1403 W. Prien Lake Rd (Holly Hill Plaza), Lake Charles, LA
Download Malwarebytes from the following site only: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
If your computer cannot connect to the internet or is being redirected, you can download the program on another computer and transfer it to the infected computer using a CD, external hard drive or flash drive.
Install Malwarebytes on the infected computer and update the program if possible.
Run a complete computer scan.
Select the option to remove any issues after the scan completes.
Boot into Safe Mode if not already there and repeat the steps above.
If you were unable to update Malwarebytes during the first scan, boot normally then attempt to update and repeat the steps above.
- Purchase and download AVG from with this Coupon for 20% OFF or download Microsoft Security Essentials from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials.
- Install, update and run a complete scan.
- Remove any threats found.
- Reboot the computer, update your antivirus software and run another complete scan.
If you are still experiencing issues or problems:
If you are still experiencing issues at this point, we recommend our professional computer repair support:
- Quick-turnaround – non-hardware issues can usually be resolved in 24-48 hours
- Professional Service – we are professionally certified in the Information Technology industry
- On-Site, Off-Site and Remote Support Available
- Emergency Service – emergency service is available to meet your critical needs
- Call, Email or Drop By – 337-376-0655 / our office is located at 1403 W. Prien Lake Rd (Holly Hill Plaza), Lake Charles, LA